miércoles, 22 de septiembre de 2010

Happy Chuseok!














Chuseok is one of the three major holidays in Korea. Some may argue it is the most important holiday. As it was explained to me, Chuseok is like U.S. Thanksgiving for Koreans. It started as time when Koreans came together to thank their ancestors for the year’s harvest and shared their abundance with family and friends back when there were no dates like September 22.

Although the exact origin of Chuseok is unclear, the tradition can be traced back to ancient religious practices that centered around the significance of the moon. The sun’s presence was considered routine, but the full moon that came once a month, brightening the dark night, was considered a special and meaningful event. Therefore, festivities took place on the day of the largest full moon. On the lunar calender it is August 15th, which is why Chuseok is also known as Hangawi, which means the ides of August

I had the very unique experience of sharing that with a Korean family today. There were foods of all different kinds that I wouldn't even have the first clue how to explain...but I have some pictures!

It was very fun to try to eat with chopsticks and not get food all over myself (which I was successful...except for with the chicken) They had fish, octopus, chicken, pork, and beef, and yes, I ate them all. They also have soup, which is very similar to a miso style soup with bamboo and tofu, and well as a delicious rice filled with bean sprouts, green onion, mushroom, tofu and who knows what else. I was encouraged to try all the different vegetables on the table, which I did and liked. I unfortunately could not tell you what they were, and I dare say they were not vegetables at all but different types of seaweed (but I could be very wrong). There was a different dipping sauce to everything and as always, there was plenty of Gimchi (a national favorite) to compliment any part of the meal you desire. In the small glass there was a drink called Baek ju. It is like a popular rice liquor that is drunk especially in this holiday (again, so I am told).

I was given the vote of approval by the family because not only did I eat, I ate a lot. There for I was an ok Migu (it is the Korean name for a person from the states, because we have one in every country...I hope I "spelled" it correctly)

After this serious spread I enjoyed a "dessert" of a frozen plum tea made special for me followed pieces of apples, pears and another fruit I can not remember the name of (and also have never had before) alongside soaked peanuts with cup of coffee. All this while I watched the end of The Incredibles dubbed in Korean on the absolute largest television I have ever seen. Could one consider it the perfect blend of traditional meet technological, Old Korea and New Korea? Left to be decided...

1 comentario:

Pavi dijo...

You are a gret writter, your articcle was interesting, congratulations. Absolutly for my it could be very dificultud eat some the this food, meavy I could eat some the dessert.

Pavi.